Monday 28 January 2013

Too Late

We went to the Tauranga Art Gallery this afternoon.  Two decades of Paramount Award winning works from the Wallace Art Awards were on show but I particularly wanted to see the Victorian paintings which were on loan from various art collections in New Zealand because I'd had popped in on Saturday to see what was on and espied what I took to be a Pre-Raphaelite and a Millais and was very excited to return for a more studied look.  When we got there today the Victorian Exhibition was closed and being dismantled.  There was, they told me, a Pre-Raphaelite and a Millais.   I was rather disappointed.  I didn't really take to any of the Wallace exhibits but I did like the collection of work by the New Zealand-born, Australian-based artist Emily Valentine who uses feathers for her artworks.
She creates mythical beasts - winged dogs, cats, lizards and airplanes - and wants to "stimulate the viewer with the uncomfortable nature of the feather, to question our callous treatment of animals and birds, and ask how we subconsciously classify animals - pet or pest, valued or worthless, beautiful or plain, and why".

After we popped into the Comida, a new Tapas Bar by the Art Gallery, the for a cold drink and a coffee.  We were tempted to have a Spanish Donut or Churros with hot dipping chocolate though. It was absolutely wonderful. What really struck me was the superb service.  It's a new place and I hope that it does really well.

14 comments:

  1. Never heard of Churros - does it just look really huge or was it truly almost the size of the table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was huge Meike - about 40cm long each one. It was also deliciously light and crispy on the outside.

      Delete
  2. You have been busy - and busy with the blogs, too. I'll spend a bit of time catching up on them this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been quite busy Pauline and I've had time to keep up with some posts too - a bonus!

      Delete
  3. Oh, this was thought provoking...
    "stimulate the viewer with the uncomfortable nature of the feather, to question our callous treatment of animals and birds, and ask how we subconsciously classify animals - pet or pest, valued or worthless, beautiful or plain, and why".
    Since there are no photos of "those feathers," I'll go to bed thinking about what those natures might be.
    I've seen Churros in AZ, but not with hot dipping chocolate. Could be yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you follow the link to Emily Valentine Lisa you'll see some of her work. I think the photos ar copyright so I decided not to show them.

      Delete
  4. I have never seen Churros straight. The ones I have had are coiled up like a Cumberland sausage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'd certainly fit on the ordinary plate better like that Adrian.

      Delete
  5. Oh goodness me, now now I've got the urge to eat a churro....guess I'm headed out today.
    Sorry you didn't get to view the art display you wanted, but was still able to view another new artist. I visited her website, and her art work is interesting....very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were REALLY good Virginia. I was disappointed but, hey, when I get back to the UK there is so much art I can overload to my heart's content.

      Delete
  6. The feathery art looks interesting. (Just reading two different books involving mythical beasts...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica it was like nothing I've ever seen before and was really beautiful in it's detail and ideas close up and personal.

      Delete
  7. Ahhhhh... Heaven! Churros con chocolate! One of my primary reasons for being in Spain for a month! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne it's as good a reason as any (apart from the sun and warmth and wine and ... ah well I agree it's still a good reason.

      Delete