Wednesday 13 March 2013

Trotty

I have tried for several weeks to get a decent photo of a mare and her foal on the road into town.  Unfortunately whenever I've stopped the car she has immediately positioned herself between me and the foal.  When I took this photo she was right at the road fence but as soon as I stopped she did her usual trick and then walked over to the other side of the paddock sheltering the foal.  When she was far enough away she lost interest in me and clearly thought that they were far enough away for the foal to be let loose.  The result was that these are the best photos I've managed and they were also on a rather dull morning (good old Murphy's Law - we've hardly had a dull morning since Christmas).

For those who don't know who Trotty is see "I Did It, I Jumped The Fence" Explained .
 

15 comments:

  1. So persistance pays off with some good photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Named after the Queen? Good pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say that Trotty came before the Queen but I don't think that's the case. Has she recovered yet?

      Delete
    2. According to this mornings paper she is still trotting. She is confined to Buck House. No doubt to be within shouting distance of the Chamber(pot) Maid.

      Delete
  3. Two beauties! And no matter the challenge with animal pictures, you always manage to get good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were beautiful Meike. Thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  4. Wat een prachtige paarden ,ze staan er toch maar heel mooi op het kost dan wat moeite maar dan krijg je ook wat moois.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nic. Het veulen wordt steeds groter nu en is niet zo leuk.

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous foal!! Lovely shots, Graham!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. The foal is getting a bit less gangly now.

      Delete
  6. These photos made my day, you know how much I love horses...Trotty and all.
    Your patience paid off and we were rewarded with these lovely photos of mum and foal.
    Can't really blame mum for her protective nature of her foal, seeing you advancing with your camera she sensed harm, but in your case need not have worried.
    Loved the Trotty story which I vaguely remember from childhood, since we grew up on all the British books here in the Caribbean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased that you enjoyed it Virginia. I met a lot of horses and ponies today. No doubt you'll see them during the coming week.

      Delete
  7. Awww... So cute, that little one. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete