Friday 3 January 2014

A Passion for Peanuts

Fortunately I do not have an addictive personality (least-ways I'm fairly sure that I don't) except when it comes to one thing: a bowl of salted nuts - specifically peanuts or cashew nuts.  Nor am I an instant gratification person.  I like to savour my boiled sweets or peppermints (on the rare occasion that I eat sweets at all) and I don't crunch them.

This evening as I put my 6 o'clock ration of nuts in a bowl (on this occasion with my glass of spicy tomato juice that I can only get in NZ) I suddenly had the thought that someone, somewhere must, surely, have invented the peanut dispenser: something that would drip-feed me my nuts one at a time and slowly.

My friend and fellow croquet player (with infinitely more experience than I) Frank is an engineer and is always inventing things.  I shall not go into detail as to why getting croquet hoops out of the ground when it is dry can be exceptionally difficult and can also damage the lawn.  However for such occasions Frank invented a croquet hoop lifter.  As you can see Frank is not just an engineer but an engineer with a sense of humour:



So what would you like someone to invent?

18 comments:

  1. I think the peanut dispenser you are referring to has been invented Graham ~ and in Adrian's case it is called the Uma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I'm not a fan of nuts but would eat them to keep Uma happy. She is a lady to die for.

      Delete
    2. Oh I like that Carol.

      Delete
  2. Frank appears not only to be a creative person with a sense of humour, but also a very neat man - look at how exact everything is placed! A man after my own heart :-)
    As for useful inventions: I often wonder how mankind has made it to the moon but so far, has not been able to invent animal medicine that our cats and dogs take willingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is Meike. He's also a superb and meticulous craftsman. He has made much of the furniture in their house and it's absolutely superb, solid old New Zealand hardwoods. It's not easy to outsmart animals though is it?

      Delete
  3. Ah, like Meike I think Frank is a man after my own heart. Not that I can invent things - I am spectacularly helpless at even the kind of stuff that normal people can do quite easily.... but I always admire ingenious inventions and can be quite entranced at what people can invent. I hope that Frank invents your peanut dispenser. If I was in a jokey mood I could suggest you put them in one of the peanut dispensers you get from the garden shop, and then do what squirrels do in my garden - climb down the pole, lift up the squirrel proof lid and stick a paw in and grab a peanut. Perhaps Frank could make you a giant sized one. Just a thought :) A Happy new Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny I can just see me going through all that to get a peanut. My problem is that I can easily do without peanuts but once I have one......... I'm sure that if Frank put his mind to it he'd come up with something.

      Delete
  4. I would like to invent something useful and practical. If it made me millions, that would be okay too
    Oddly enough, I have a draft post about inventions!

    And I am sure we have peanut dispensers like that here in Georgia! Georgia is THE number one state for peanuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to you inventions post Kay. Georgia sounds even better now I know that!

      Delete
  5. geweldig ,dit kost jaren voorbereiding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik weet zeker dat ik zal leven zonder. Ik eet gewoon meer pinda's!

      Delete
  6. Now this is one blogpost where I certainly could not have guessed from the beginning where it would be going in the end... :) Have you googled 'peanut dispenser'? I just did. Evidently you're not the first person to ever have thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have now googled 'peanut dispenser' Monica. There are so many! But I couldn't find a timed automatic one!

      Delete
  7. So have you asked your friend Frank to make you a "special" peanut dispenser??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Virginia I haven't but I'm sure he'd enjoy the challenge and drawing up the plans. Unfortunately he's a very busy man.

      Delete
  8. What would I like to see someone invent? Hmm ... how about a house that stayed clean once I got it tidied up? :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete