Wednesday 18 February 2009

Autumn: Not

I arrived on the lawn at the Croquet Club yesterday at 0815. The sun was shining out of an absolutely cloudless sky. There was a nip in the air (the temperature on the deck at The Cottage had been 13 deg when I left). My opponent remarked that it was so nice that autumn had arrived. WHAT!! Autumn! Arrived! I couldn't believe my ears. I queried the statement. "Oh yes. You can smell it in the air. Thank heaven that the hot days are over."

I refuse absolutely to believe that summer is even thinking about leaving us. Apart from anything that would be signalling the drawing to a close of my current spell at home in New Zealand and croquet for another six months. And I only just seem to have started.

So this morning at 0600 with the temperature on the deck at 16.7 deg the ranch sliders (French windows) are wide open and the summer air flows through the house.

Autumn. Certainly not!

1 comment:

  1. That's the way to go! Seasons don't change unless you allow them to. Besides, the equinox isn't until March 21st or thereabouts. So it's not Autumn yet. And it won't be for a while!

    ReplyDelete