Wednesday 6 November 2013

It's as if......

...I'd never been away.  After virtually no sleep during the journey I expected to have an early night and a long lie in this morning.  That's not how things worked out.  Having got home last night I immediately had a shower and then went up to Wendy and Martin's for dinner at 7 o'clock.   I came back to The Cottage after 11pm and a full night of conversation which included catching up and discussing life, the universe and everything as well.  

At midnight I fell into bed and was asleep before my head hit the pillow only to wake up about 5 hours later.  It was almost light.  My bedroom window was open and  the dawn chorus was flooding in with the sound of the rain on the roof of the deck (veranda).  It is not something I hear on Lewis. 

Since my first visit to NZ in 2005 I've flown with Air New Zealand: until the last visit when I flew with Emirates.  I flew Emirates again this time.  I felt disloyal leaving Air NZ but Emirates were less than half the price, the flight time was shorter and more convenient and I didn't have to go through Los Angeles with all the homeland security, retina and fingerprinting and so on that that involves.  Add to that seats with enough legroom in cattle class for someone on an inside seat to step past me without me getting out of my seat and the choice is a no-brainer.  Dubai Airport is very user-friendly and whilst there is the usual security for prohibited items in hand luggage etc there is no privacy invasion.  There is also free wifi everywhere.

Today I've been getting my stuff out of The Cupboard and getting things into the places they belong.  I'll have a bit more to say in the morning after a good night's sleep.  TTFN.

22 comments:

  1. Glad to read that you have returned safely. Looking froward to your new stories and adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mersad. No adventures so far: well not real, gig ones anyway.

      Delete
  2. gelukkig weer thuis ik ben benieuwd naar uw belevenissen en foto,s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank u voor uw bezoek Stiefbeen. Ik hoop dat ik sommige foto's zal hebben die u tijdens de volgende maanden zullen interesseren.

      Delete
  3. Glad to know you had a comfortable flight and arrived safely. Now there's the time difference to get used to again...I know that YOU (miraculously) never seem very bothered by jet lag... so I'm thinking more about myself! (haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica I can't explain why I seem to get used to the changes very quickly. I think it may have something to do with the fact that I've always had very little sleep (though I need more now than I used to). Having said that I was about 3 hours out in my sleep pattern last night. I've never had the problems of jet lag that so many have described to me though.

      Delete
  4. Glad you'd arrived OK and the journey was pleasant enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn it's not a journey I'd do for pleasure but there are many worse ways to spend ones time.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a great welcome, dinner with friends and inspirational conversation, and then waking up to the dawn chorus - what more could one ask for?
    Still, you had no sleep on the flight (what kept you? Riveting read or chatty co-passengers?), and so I wish you good, restful night's worth of catching up on lost sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike I just couldn't get more than about an hour of sleep. I thought after the last couple of times that I'd get a few more hours. C'est la vie (or should I say Das ist Leben?). I did almost no reading either. No idea why not. I did watch three films though and listened to music and did several crosswords.

      Delete
  6. glad you arrived safe and well. Look forward to catching up once you have got everything in order

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I hope all goes well for Katie-Ann. I'll be in touch soon.

      Delete
  7. I know you never sleep on the flight, but I would have thought you'd need a bit more than 5 hours when you got into your own bed... extraordinary! Good to have you back down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last two journeys Katerine I had managed several hours ion total but I had just one hour this time. I thought I'd have slept for at least 8 hours the first night back. I slept even less last night. I feel good though so I can't complain.

      Delete
  8. Look forward to seeing you Graham, and after reading your post may well look at Emirates for myself next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be in touch soon Julia. Lots to catch up on. Emirates is definitely worth a look. I feel quite disloyal but AirNZ need to make more of an effort if they are going to compete effectively I'm afraid.

      Delete
  9. It's good to see you back at this blog again. I would guess you have a blog while you are In Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red. Yes when I'm in Scotland I blog here.

      Delete
  10. Good to see you settled safely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am happy to hear that you have arrived safely back "home."
    After a lovely welcome dinner, and catching up, it probably seems as if you never left.
    Welcome home Godwit!!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virginia. It's been a very rapid resumption and it is, as you said, as if I'd never been away.

      Delete