Sunday 17 April 2011

Milking Time

This is the sort of scene that many rural New Zealanders see every day but coming from the fruit and wine area of Hawkes Bay it's a scene I rarely come across so I was fascinated by the fact that the cattle knew when to go.  Pauline also told me that the cattle had an order in that the ones at the front and in the middle and at the back always tend to be the same ones and, if I recall it correctly, they each tend to follow the same one every time.  Anyway we were going for our walk down to the creek as the cows were coming in from one of the far paddocks.

Make way, I'm coming through!
Well we got rid of those humans then.
I'm waiting for you.
And I'm waiting for you
It's amazing what you can find in the mud
Rather her than me!

10 comments:

  1. A really good and cheerful post. Just what I needed over breakfast. Thanks. What is she looking for apart from wellies........perhaps we are better not knowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning (evening) Adrian. She was looking for "well there's all sorts of interesting things in mud". No doubt she's right but I gave it a pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As it was once sung......mud, mud glorious mud, nothing quite like it for cooling the blood.
    A fun adventure, thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shot of Sammy, GB. And must show Danny how good the cows look! Georgia came in this afternoon in much the same state as in the photos. One of these days she will find that "interesting something" in the mud. Having one arm in plaster hasn't slowed her down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun that must have been, standing by watching the cows go by. Texas has LOTS of cows too. I'm quite amused by them. They couldn't care less about me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cows, amazing lining up skill!
    Mud, loved that feel on bare feet. Squishy!
    Thanks for the cheer-you-up photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really good post, Graham - telling a story in pictures. Cows not my speciality, but after watching a film on TV just recently about Temple Grandin I'm not surprised at the facts you present here! (a woman with autism who became a doctor of animal science and revolutionized practices for the humane handling of livestock on cattle ranches and slaughterhouses)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all. It was a lovely walk - good company in a beautiful place how could it not be! One of the joys of having a good time is being able to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to call them Boss Cows. Things get confused if the heard size is too big, 'though. The cows don't know where they are in the pecking order and there's more stress for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uugh Of course that should have been 'herd' size. I knew that.

    ReplyDelete